“Ye hear of wars in foreign lands; but, behold, I say unto you, they are nigh, even at your doors, and not many years hence ye shall hear of wars in your own lands.”
Doctrine and Covenants 45:63
In the United States we hear of “wars in foreign lands,” but experience relative peace at home. That could change at any moment. While I don’t know how the next world war will start, I can guess how it might start.
Here are my thoughts on how the United States could enter a third world war.
How will World War 3 begin?
North Korea launches a nuke
Reasons North Korea could start World War 3:
- There is a strong anti-American sentiment in North Korea.
- North Koreans are fiercely loyal to their “Dear Leader.”
- North Korea has nuclear weapons.
- North Korea has launched missiles, despite UN mandates.
- As of December 29, 2011, Kim Jong-un (age 27) is North Korea’s president.
- This week Kim Jong-un released a top military official- Ri Yong.
China invades the U.S. on the Pacific Coast
Reasons China could start World War 3:
- There is a some anti-American sentiment in China.
- China has the second largest navy in the world.
- China has more males than females.
- The Chinese military in the past has acted without the President’s consent.
- China has technology to shoot down air crafts.
- China has stealth planes that evade radar.
Mexico drug cartels gain power in America
Reasons Mexican cartels could start World War 3:
- Mexican drug cartels are gaining more power than the Mexican government.
- Mexican law enforcement is somewhat corrupt.
- Since the Mexican Drug War began in 2006 there have been about 56,000 deaths.
- Mexican gangs have a strong presence in California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.
- The U.S. Justice Department said Mexican cartels are the greatest organized crime threat to America.
“Wars, natural disasters, and personal misfortunes continue to occur. It would be easy to become discouraged and cynical about the future—or even fearful of what might come—if we allowed ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong in the world and in our lives. Today, however, I’d like us to turn our thoughts and our attitudes away from the troubles around us and to focus instead on our blessings.”
-President Thomas S. Monson
Personal Notes: Despite wars preceding the Second Coming, we can experience peace in our personal lives. As we live the teachings of the Gospel, we experience peace, security and happiness. With each coming challenge there will be opportunities to serve and help others in need.