“In that day shall there be an altar to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt”
Some think the 2011 political revolution against Hosni Mubarak will lead to increased freedom.
Though Egypt has been a hostile place to its 5-10% Christian population, that could all change. In Isaiah 19, the prophet gave several prophecies about Egypt that have been fulfilled:
Isaiah’s prophecies about Egypt- fulfilled
- v. 2- Egyptian Civil War (Upper Nile vs. Lower Nile) -Fulfilled 2181-2055 BC
- v. 3- Idolatry -Fulfilled a couple thousand years before Isaiah’s day (and during)
- v. 4- Fierce King over Egypt (Assyrians, Romans) -Fulfilled 669 BC, 30 BC
- v. 5-10- Drying of Nile River (Aswan Dam)- Fulfilled 1902, 1970
- v. 16-17- Egypt will fight against Israel and lose -Fulfilled 1948, 1956, 1973
Now for the prophecies yet to be fulfilled.
Isaiah’s prophecies about Egypt- not yet fulfilled
- v. 18- Israelites will live in Egypt
- v. 19- There will be a temple in Egypt
- v. 20-22- Egyptians will worship Jehovah (Jesus Christ)
- v. 23-25- The Middle East will be at peace
While we don’t know when the Restored Gospel will go to Egypt, we know all nations will come to know the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ. Whether in our day, or during the Millenium, there will be a temple in Egypt.
“Sacred temple ordinances are to be made available to all. Brigham Young prophesied that during the Millennium there would be thousands of temples dotting the earth. At that time, tens of thousands of the faithful are to enter and perform sacred ordinances around the clock.”
-Encyclopedia of Mormonism
Personal Notes: I know God lives and has control over all. He has a plan for all His children to be able to accept the Gospel. Though it might seem unrealistic now to imagine the Gospel going to 90% Islamic Egypt, what did we think 25 years ago about Russia? Just as Russia opened to receive missionaries, other nations will open to receive missionaries. The Lord will prepare the way.