“For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay.”
As children of the kingdom, we shouldn’t pollute. The more we pollute, the more problems we will have. Here are some pollution problems:
- About 14,000 die each day due to water pollution.
- In China and India, about 1 million die each year from air pollution.
- Eating heavy metals, (ex: mercury) can damage a baby’s brain.
- Exposure to radioactive materials can lead to cancer.
- Pollution causes acid rain which has a bad PH level for plants.
- Noise pollution worsens stress, sleep disorders and blood pressure.
So if pollution causes so many problems, how can we stop it?
Here are some EPA suggestions:
- Turn off lights and appliances
- Plant trees
- Wash clothes with warm or cold water, instead of hot water
- Lower water heater thermostat to 120 degrees fahrenheit
- Don’t smoke
- Buy products with less packaging
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Shop with a canvas bag instead of plastic/paper bags
- Use efficient vehicles
“When we heal the earth, we heal ourselves.” -David Orr
“We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.” -Thomas Fuller
“We cannot command Nature except by obeying her.” -Francis Bacon
My Testament: On my mission to Argentina, we ate with a family who lived by a large dump, where people tossed chemicals, trash, dead animals, etc. The dump wreaked. Each time we ate lunch with the family, we got diarrhea. I think chemicals from the dump leached into their home water supply.